Wednesday, 21 September 2011

bleach babe

I admit it. I haven't been kind to my hair. In fact if there was a society for protection against hair cruelty, they'd have me locked up and throw away the key. To summarise my hair-history, it has been: blonde-black-blonde-red-blonde-white(!)-brown-red-brown. Nowadays I'm almost back to my naturally 'mousey' shade, once again dreaming of highlights and golden waves. There is an emerging pattern. (See below for pictorial evidence).


when bleach and I were lovers...
..and when we broke up


After months of defying my hairdressers wishes to chop the lot off, as it resembled straw more than hair, I finally gave in and had myself a long-bob. It's (very slowly) growing back, and so to give my poor hair a break, I thought I'd steer clear of the dye for a bit and give an all new product on the block a try. John Frieda's Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Controlled Lightening Spray promises to "gradually lighten and brighten for a natural-looking, blonder blonde." I'm sold.


Rating: a not-so-bright 2/5.


You spray it on after washing, before drying and styling as it works with the heat to lighten. Following the instructions, after 3 uses my hair did seem lighter, but however carefully applied it seemed rather patchy. A few more uses in and it turned a nasty brassy shade leaving me no other option but to go to the hairdressers. I'm not sure if my hair was a little too dark to use this spray on as it DOES state only shades of already blonde hair should use, but none the less I'd advise to use any home lightening products with care as, much as I wish for otherwise, the usual end result will be more brassy than sassy. And so the cycle of hair abuse continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment